Lindesberg is a town in Västmanland and a central town in Lindesberg municipality, Örebro county. Lindesberg is located at Lindessjönsnorra beach between Bottenån and Lilla Lindesjön about 40 km north of Örebro. Lindesberg had 9,571 residents (2015). The major employers in Lindesberg today are the municipality, Lindesberg’s hospitalRegion Örebro County and Arvin Meritor AB. Previously, the working life was dominated by the surrounding Bergslagens iron handling
The location – at Lindesjön and Bottenån, which during the history served as transport routes for merchandise from and to Bergslagen, along Arbogaån via Väringen and on to the coast – is probably of great importance for the emergence of Lindesberg. The forest, the ore and the fertile soil in the areas are other factors that have been important when people have chosen to establish themselves here.
When the first settlement arose at the site is raised in the obscurity of history, but the first stone church at Lindesberg’s church’s present place is believed to have been built on the Folkungatiden (14th century). Only a few stones remain of that building. The place was then called Lindesås, and came to do so until the middle of the Great Power period. The name Lindesberg is already on the Olaus Magnus Carta marina but at that time meant Lindesberg’s mountain range, ie the mining area around the resort
Lindesås church village already appeared during the late Middle Ages as a central town for the trade in Lindesberg’s mountain range. The importance of the resort increased during the 16th and 17th centuries in connection with the expansion of the rock management. The trade was mainly conducted by citizens from Arboga and Örebro
In 1639, proposals were made to establish a new city for Nora and Lindesberg mountain farms at Järle, and in 1642 city privileges were also issued for the city. However, the plan was soon abandoned and in 1643 Lindesås together with Nora and Askersund obtained their city rights under Queen Kristina (through the guardian government’s Axel Oxenstierna, Gabriel Bengtsson Oxenstierna, Gustav Horn, Carl Gyllenhielm and Per Brahe), as Lindesberg’s city. A permanent merchant settlement was then already established in the locality
Lindesberg managed to survive as a city, despite its strong opposition from Arboga and Örebro, and to maintain its status as the center of the hardware trade. Already in 1644 the city was hit by a first city fire. In 1688, 32 farms burned down in the northern part of Lindesberg. In a letter 1689 Karl XI forbade the citizens to rebuild the burnt-down district and command them to instead move to Arboga and Örebro. However, no move was ever made and the farms were rebuilt gradually. As recently as 1719, however, attempts were made in the Riksdag to enforce the abolition of Lindesberg’s city privileges. During the period of freedom, Lindesberg achieved a short rise in growth.
During the Gustavian era (1770s), the number of inhabitants in the city amounted to just under 650. The trade exchange between Bergslagen and the Plain countryside continued to characterize the business community in Lindesberg well into the 1800s. In 1869, central Lindesberg was hit by a severe fire; 27 farms between Köpmangatan and Trädgårdsgatan were laid in ashes, and the church was severely damaged. A new city fire occurred in 1887
However, the actual growth only came in the 1870s, when Lindesberg got a rail link. This development has continued during the 20th century, with an expansion in the metal and engineering industries in particular. In recent years, the manufacturing industry has declined, while public and private services have grown in scope
Lindesberg has also repeatedly been affected by floods, despite the fact that dams tried to regulate Lindesjön. In 1931, a major flood occurred, and in the spring of 1977 one of the worst in human memory occurred with water levels 243 centimeters above the normal water level
Lindesberg’s city was transformed at the municipal reform in 1862 into a city municipality. In 1969, the city municipality was expanded with the surrounding Linde parish / country municipality with the town’s buildings remaining within the area of the former city municipality. In 1971, the municipality of Lindesberg with Lindesberg was the central town
Lindesberg has been a member of Lindesberg’s City Assembly before 1927, then Lindesberg’s parish. From 2010, the town belongs to the Linde Bergslag parish
The town was included in the jurisdiction of Lindesberg Town Hall Court until 1948, after which it was included in Lindes and Nora court cases until 1971. From 1971 to 2005, Lindesberg was included in Lindesberg’s court case and the town has been included in Örebro’s court case since 2005